Sunday, November 04, 2007

Well, is she?

In checking my website's keyword listings, I came across this query:

queen isabella is she a molly


I am almost certain that she is not. But input from blog readers will be gladly welcomed.

On an entirely unrelated note, my hands are no longer shaking and trembling, because after a lengthy withdrawal, I have access to the online Oxford Dictionary of National Biography once more! Having logged on Friday, I made up for lost time by printing out as many biographies as possible. I feel much better now, thank you. (Even if you're not a subscriber, you can still visit the site to see the biography of the day.)

8 comments:

Gabriele Campbell said...

What does 'molly' mean?

Kathryn Warner said...

I have no idea what a 'molly' is either, but it sounds funny. ;) I got 'queen isabella tear' today - wonder if that means crying, or ripping?

Yay, ODNB!!

Susan Higginbotham said...

I thought it might be a Britishism, but evidently not! But I'm quite certain that Queen Isabella is not a fish, which was the only definition I found.

Anonymous said...

A 'Molly' is 18th century slang for homosexual men, particularly transvestites: http://www.infopt.demon.co.uk/nedward.htm
You may, or may not, want to know about "Mother Clap's Molly house", which was in Holborn, London. :)).
Love the Blog btw :)
Jen

Sarah Johnson said...

I found this Wikipedia reference to what a "molly" is, but if this is what they meant, we can say unequivocally No. (Unless they thought she made a secret, bigamous marriage with Roger Mortimer?)

Carla said...

Hmm. The definition of 'molly' that I'm familiar with is the one Jen describes above. In which case, the answer is that Isabella, being definitely female, was not a molly.

Anonymous said...

Question: Does it make any more sense if the Queen Isabella meant by the query was Isabella of Spain?
I still don't understand the connection
Susan A

Lucy said...

Molly was often the nick name given to anyone called Mary, so that's a non starter. A moll was also a gangster's female companion or a prostitute: any help?
Lucy
www.lucyannwrites.blogspot.com