Thursday, January 03, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Anticipation

From Booking Through Thursday:

Last week we talked about the books you liked best from 2007. So this week, what with it being a new year, and all, we’re looking forward….

What new books are you looking forward to most in 2008? Something new being published this year? Something you got as a gift for the holidays? Anything in particular that you’re planning to read in 2008 that you’re looking forward to? A classic, or maybe a best-seller from 2007 that you’re waiting to appear in paperback?

I'm looking forward to Ian Mortimer's book The Time Travelers' Guide to Medieval England (scheduled for October, according to his website). Also in the nonfiction department, I'm looking forward to A. J. Pollard's Warwick the Kingmaker (not to be confused with Michael Hicks' and Paul Murray Kendall's books by the same name).

On the fiction front, it seems to me that it's about time for another Anne Tyler or P. D. James novel, but I don't know if either author has a release scheduled for this year. If either does, I'll be buying it the day of publication! Looking forward to seeing what Philippa Gregory and Alison Weir's forthcoming novels are like, though I do rather wish they'd chosen less written about people (Mary, Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I are their respective subjects). Speaking of Tudor women, I'm interested to see what Brandy Purdy makes of Anne Boleyn in her Vengeance Is Mine. Dropping back two centuries, I'm looking foward to David Blixt's sequel to The Master of Verona.

So: a lot to look forward to. I just need to get more time for reading!

12 comments:

heather (errantdreams) said...

I just need to get more time for reading!

Oh, my, yes. Story of my life. =/ Good luck!

Alix said...

I know what you mean and my list of to read just keeps growing.
I hope P D James releases a new book too.

Anonymous said...

Why can't we have 48 hours day?

:D

Booking through anticipation

Anonymous said...

Yes, new James and Tyler novels would come pretty close to the top of my list as well.

Anonymous said...

I agree on the more time thing. Anne Tyler is in my TBR pile. Great list!

Marg said...

I am hoping that you are already aware that you got a good review at Dear Author for Hugh and Bess.

http://susandhigginbotham.blogspot.com/index.html

Marg said...

Whoops, obviously having a moment when I commented earlier! I meant to give you the Dear Author link.

Susan Higginbotham said...

Thanks for stopping by, all! Marg, thanks for the heads up! That's a nice way to start 2008!

Carla said...

Congratulations on the review!

Susan Higginbotham said...

Thanks, Carla!

Anonymous said...

Rachel Bard has a new book coming out, i think it is called a Reed in the Wind, about Joanna Plantagenet. I loved her book on Berengaria of Navarre.

Susan Higginbotham said...

Thanks, Susan! That one will be interesting to see.