Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Economic Stimuli We Could Use

I saw in the news today that President Obama is proposing an expansion of his stimulus plan, which includes a program called "Cash for Caulkers" for homeowners who weatherize their residence. (This follows upon the "Cash for Clunkers" program from a while back.)

I think these are excellent programs, but they ignore an important segment of the public: book lovers. So without further ado, here are some stimulus programs that I'm sure readers of all political stripes can agree upon:

"Bucks for Books." To shore up the ailing publishing industry and encourage literacy, an incentive that gives tax breaks to those who spend more than $1,000 per year on books. The more books you buy, the bigger the tax break.

"Cash for Kindles." Encourages the growth of the e-publishing industry by putting a Kindle into the hands of everyone who hasn't succumbed to its lure yet. (For those who prefer Barnes and Noble's e-reader, there could be an alternative program called "Nickels for Nooks.")

"Breaks for Bookshelves." Makes the costs of new bookshelves tax deductible, thereby getting new bookshelves into the hands of all Americans who are still living with those cinder-block contraptions from their college days or who are having to double-book their existing shelves.

"Pennies for Plantagenets." An exciting new program that offers up to $3,000 in matching royalties to any writer who publishes a book-length work of fiction about a dynasty other than the Tudors.

I'll be home all day tomorrow if the White House wants to give me a call. And I won't even expect an invitation to the next social gathering--no, no. I'm doing this solely as a public service to my country.

5 comments:

Jules Frusher said...

I really don't think that the US should keep this obviously brilliant program (if adopted) to itself either! Perhaps you could write to Mr Gordon Brown and suggest he uses it too! Heck, maybe we could have a new world order based on books!

Unknown said...

I think this is an excellent idea, Susan--not just for the US but for every nation. We could definitely do with some stimulation for the publishing industry in India. And I for one certainly need a tax break--I'm certain I spend more than I should on books!

Misfit said...

I love these ideas. Much better than buying an old car or weatherizing :p

Elizabeth said...

I think I shall drag out the wine and have a glass to toast this wonderful idea - especially the part about increasing literacy in the country, which is in a shameful state! Great post!

Kit moss said...

"Ingots for Indie Novels"!

Nan Hawthorne
www.nanhawthorne.com