Thursday, March 06, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Hero

From Booking Through Thursday

You should have seen this one coming … Who is your favorite Male lead character? And why?


First, Eugene Wrayburn in Dickens's Our Mutual Friend. He's troubled, witty, intelligent and (I've always thought) quite sexy. I tried to find one of Marcus Stone's illustrations of him, but I couldn't, so here's a drawing by Denise Rajauski of Eugene as played by Paul McGann in the BBC adaptation a few years back.

Isn't he handsome?

Others: Mr. Knightley in Emma ("If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more") and Captain Wentworth in Persuasion ("I must learn to brook being happier than I deserve"). Need I say more?

I'm also fond of two of Anne Tyler's male leads in particular: Ian Bedloe in Saint Maybe and Barnaby Gaitlin in A Patchwork Planet. Neither is Mr. Knightley material--Ian is searching for redemption after a hasty remark of his leads to the death of two people; Barnaby is an ex-juvenile delinquent in rebellion against his wealthy Baltimore family--but they're lovable in their own right.

Historical fiction? I'm a sucker for any historical novel with Edward II & Co. in it, as regulars here well know (and I'm right fond of Hugh le Despenser the even younger, as Alianore has dubbed him, the hero of my own Hugh and Bess). I loved Jude Morgan's portrayal of James of Monmouth in The King's Touch. And I'm fond of Sydney Carton in A Tale of Two Cities.

3 comments:

Jules Frusher said...

Well of course I would have to say Hugh Despenser the younger, in the book I haven't finished writing yet ;-)

Otherwise it would definitely haveto be Llewelyn Fawr in Penman's 'Here Be Dragons'. He just seems so strong and masculine, yet caring at the same time *sigh*

Lynn Irwin Stewart said...

Dare I say Richard III? Yes, I do dare. I'd also have to say Mr. Younger Despenser, who I find quite fascinating, in spite of himself. I'd also add, to go along with the heroines I previously listed, Jamie Fraser (OUTLANDER series)and Nathaniel Bonner (WILDERNESS series)

Judy said...

I must say Ross Poldark in the Poldark series, both in print and on the small screen. It was fun to see Alistair Cooke introduce a series that was basically a soap opera set in 18th Century Cornwall.